Monday, May 2, 2011

Tha Mothership Connection












One summer morning back in 1994 I woke up excited for Lollapalooza. The lineup that year was awesome. I turned on the TV and MTV (back when they played music videos) was playing a George Clinton video. He was on the lineup that year and the song was kickin!' So I was officially excited for Lollapalooza and got out of bed to get ready. Skip ahead a few hours Clinton comes on stage yet I'm not there waiting. I'm farther back in the field eating and resting from over exerting myself during the earlier bands. I could hear Clinton, but was too far back to enjoy it. Over the years I regretted that moment.


17 years later came my chance at redemption. I was driving past the Arena Theatre and I saw the sign reading "George Clinton on April 8." I bought my ticket. Granted the Arena Theatre doesn't leave much room for dancing like the Sam Houston Raceway Park (back in 94) did. People were awaiting the trademark rainbow weave when an old man in a gray suit and a hat came trotting onto the stage about half an hour into the show. Even without the rainbow we all recognized the man as Clinton. He wasn't as active in the show as in years past. I understand the experience now won't ever be like it was 17 years younger. Yet I'm happy I got to cross paths with Doctor Funkenstein again.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, you've been there too?