Monday, January 3, 2011

Allen/Terrell Farm, TX

In the 1820s a second batch of colonists sent by Stephen F. Austin settled the area that would become Allen Farm, TX. The town functioned for about 200 years before declining in population. After that Texas A & M alumni Will Terrell purchased the property and is working to preserve the original buildings. This is private property and permission is needed to come out and walk around and take pictures. I wish to thank Mr. Terrell and the City of Navasota for affording me this chance to visit a ghost town. Not many people have been out here and I'm grateful for the experience. I got to walk back in time to an extent. I found some remainders of the original inhabitants. In the restored train depot one will find scrap books of photographs from decades gone. One will also find signatures on the back wall from people who worked there and are long gone.

3 comments:

  1. OMG...I was raised here! So many memories and thankful for where God has bought many of us from.~Renae Myles Sweed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raised here as well. Renae is my cousin. Brings back memories. I actually lived in the big white two story house from age 5-14. We lived there with my now deceased grandmother, Elizabeth Barnes Myles. She would have been 101 this year; born in 1911. Also when I lived in the two story house, the fireplace you see was never utilized, we used gas for heating. Life was not all that great here, lots of freedom, lots of room, but mostly working Hispanics and Blacks lived in this area and worked on the farm or in Navasota and Bryan, Texas.

    I have seven stitches in my right knee. I fell off my bike riding on a graveled road behind the Terrell Farm office when I was about 9 years old.

    These pictures are amazing and part of my history.
    Thanks Jason for capturing these memories. ---Dr. Priscilla Harris (formerly "Johnson")

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my home! The country!

    ReplyDelete

Oh, you've been there too?