Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Ghosts of the Vatican





In the early 1990s Houston was crawling with underground music venues. About 20 years ago I learned of a place at 5913 Washington Ave in Houston, TX, called the Vatican. Before a music venue this was a movie theater. I was intrigued and wanted to explore Houston's underground music scene. Okay that's not true! I got invited by a girl and I wanted to see her. Back then I drove a 1986 pick up truck with no air conditioning so the drive into Houston wasn't the most comfortable. I remember most of that night. I even remember the band was called Sinister Sirens. I found my friend, tried to kiss her and got shot down but that's another story.

I never went back to the Vatican. It became the Abyss and I went there several times during my 20s. I saw many local and national bands there. I spent many a night there drinking, taking pictures, and running around mosh pits. I remember the crowd of a couple hundred people drinking, moshing, and enjoying life.

One night last month I found myself on Washington. It has changed a lot over the years. Twenty years ago Washington Ave. was stacked with dive joints. Now it's become a trendy, upscale night spot. All of the dive joints are gone. I stopped my car in front of 5913. Now it's some company.





Where people used to look for parking. One night when GWAR played there was a line of ticket holders lined up here. I walked up (with no ticket) and was told to go in and pay the admission fee. I still don't know how I lucked out. I wonder how upset those people were.





Luminescent paint advertising bands like Nirvana, Phish, and Nine Inch Nails that played here adorned the walls. Hundreds of young people slammed, flew, crashed, and were picked up off the floors. Millions of dramatic tales played out on these floors. Thousands of drums thundered, guitars screamed, and singers wailed. I can still see the ghosts here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, you've been there too?